Sunday, August 01, 2004

For the Sake of Philosophy

Thanks kris for the explanation, you make a good case for Ullyses which I will tackle one of these days. I'm currently reading Dosty's "Demons" (previously translated as "The Possessed") and so am mired in a world of complex human interactions the cause of which are rarely explained. The actions come about as results of feelings, emotions, and impulses which the characters cannot themselves understand. I find this trend in my life and must assume it happens to everyone. Emotions cannot be logicaly analyzed, they can be viewed objectively at a later date but if you have ever tried to console a grieving parent, or befriend someone in the thralls of depression (and we won't even get into the realm of love), or have been in these states yourself, then you know that these emotions move with the force of glaciers, inexorably onward towards some final complexing resting place.
Which brings me to my statement concerning the comprehension of the inner workings of one human being being the key to understanding all forms of human interactions within the family, community, nation, and world. for, just as a person is a single entity, so too is a people a single entity which is motivated and driven by the same elemental passions as each of those people from which it is comprised.

in summation: What is faith and why does it compel? What causes emotional pain, or emotional satisfaction? What is the driving force behind greed, envy, and hate? What factors combine to create the sensation of love? Tell me this, and show me the world.

ok, sorry guys for the high handed language used in this post, but I think after 3 years of writing for professors I feel the urge to get wordy, and you guys are my outlet. I realize this is so much verbal mumbling, and what i am trying to say could probably be summed up more efficiently with a certain popular phrase from the GI Joe cartoons but I thank you for your time.

ps. Kris I agree with you, trying to solve the human condition is impossible, much akin to trying to dig a hole to china, all we can do is look at what has taken place, show remorse for the mistakes we've made, and try our hardest to avoid them in the future.

peace
erik

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

"all we can do is look at what has taken place, show remorse for the mistakes we've made, and try our hardest to avoid them in the future." - The truest pity is that no one is so circumspect about going to war. As I said, when you're raging for a battle and more than half of the populous of the US thinks that Iraq is directly affiliated with Al Qaeda, there is a problem.

11:01 PM  
Blogger K said...

What drew you to Dostoevsky in the first place? Heard good things? Just wanted to try out a new writer?

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home